Isaiah 40: 11

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to
his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
Isaiah 40:11

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saving Some Moolah

Kjerste encouraged us to post some money saving tips. While I will not have little pictures to describe my thoughts I hope I can pass along something useful. 
#1-Get rid of your Brita!(if you live in Washington anyway) O.K. I know that it may be very sentimental for some of us but for someone who has lived in California and Africa where the water is virtually undrinkable because of it's hardness we are rather blessed here. How much do those filters cost? A whole lot! I was very dependent on the Brita until I put it a way and rediscovered tap water. Try it and if you hate it go back but I will never return.
#2- I am sorry if some of these sound obvious but stop buying pre-cut food. A little bag of cut up lettuce can run up to $5. You can buy six romaine heads at Costco in the $2 range. Don't get me wrong I have bought bagged salad before in a pinch. But, cut your own. That goes for fruit too. My favorite thing right now is to make my own cheese sticks. I think you pay between $11 and $14 dollars for a bag of individually packaged mozzarella, Jack or Cheddar cheese. I just buy a block of cheddar the $3.99  Kirkland Signature Brand. Cut it up into sticks and put it in a Ziploc. It tastes just the same and I don't find those wrappers all over the house and yard. I also don't have to unwrap them for the little ones they can just grab a stick and go. Less garbage too!
That's all I have time for today. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to pass along. Thanks to Kjerste for the idea! Bree

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in! Love the cheese stick idea! With salad, I try to wash, dry and prep it all when I get it home from the store so that it feels like bagged salad and is quick and easy to pull out for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas Aubree!

    My most recent favorite $ saver has been to plan my meals around the sale ads. I usually buy all my bulk items at Sam's Club but then I usually end up getting smaller quantities of things at Albertsons. So I always check their ad before planning my meals for the week so when I go everything I need is on sale! I hate paying full price for anything at the regular grocery store! : )

    On that same note, actually planning meals in advance has saved me so much $. As a busy working mom I used to just go shopping and try to guess at what I'd need. With the meals planned, I don't end up buying things I don't need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I like the cheese stick idea! That would be perfect for work, a little snack with some protein, I eat a lot these days:)
    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete